Health and Safety Representatives Initial (Comcare approved in the Commonwealth Jurisdiction)
5 Days: Note this course must be completed within 6 months of course commencement
Elected Health and Safety Representatives (and deputy HSRs) from within the Commonwealth jurisdiction should attend this course. Note: section 72 of the WHS Act 2011 entitles a HSR to attend an initial course of training in work health and safety after being elected. The HSR in consultation with their employer also has the right to choose the course of training they attend. Students are required to bring with them to the course their workplace’s Risk Management Process/Tool and a Workplace Inspection Checklist.
The Commonwealth Health and Safety Representatives training course is designed for companies who are current Comcare Licensees and listed commonwealth departments and agencies Note: This does not apply to local government – they must attend the State Health and Safety Representatives courses.
Language and Literacy requirements for the course are:
- Writing is required to the level of completing written in-class activities.
- Reading is required to enable the determination of information through the student manual.
The purpose of this course is for Health and Safety Representatives to acquire the knowledge and skills to enable them to exercise their powers for the purpose of promoting and ensuring the health and safety at work of members of their work group.
The course content focuses on:
- Work Health and Safety legislation (including Regulations and Codes of Practice) and its relationship to HSR’s.
- Identifying key parties, legislative obligations and duties.
- The role, function and powers of a Commonwealth Health and Safety Representative.
- The role of a Commonwealth Health and Safety Representative within their work group including: participation in the resolution of work health and safety issues, issuing of Provisional Improvement Notices and directing cessation of unsafe work.
This course is delivered by NSCA.
There is no formal assessment as part of this course. Upon successful completion, participants will be issued with a Certificate of Attendance.
Training will be delivered within a public training facility utilising theory and practical activities. Delivery will include instructor led presentations / scenarios.
Please select your state so that courses on the site can be shown for your location.